I ride in a lot of rain a lot lof days. I wear clipless Shimano sandals
over Sealskinz socks over thick wool socks. The Sealskinz don't provide
warmth and get kind of wet thru eventually. Sometimes I have 2 pairs of
socks, change my shoes, socks at work. The sandals have adjustable velcro
straps and I wear them in the summer.
 Seems to work.