Patrick,

Your attached photo (must be from Flickr?) is a pic of my 1980ish Colnago
super. I think the chain rest idea is super slick, and works very well. The
rear end is spaced at 126mm, and I'm using a regular 5 cog 14-24 Regina Oro
freewheel. I know someone who is using an "ultra 6" freewheel in a similar
era Gios - it apparently works fine. My Colnago come with the dropouts
already tapped for the PC, I just chased the threads. I've seen a 1978
Colnago Super with the same dropout casting, but the holes were not yet
drilled and tapped.

You may be interested to know that Campagnolo also made a single bolt
version with works with any long horizontal dropout. I put one of those on
my 1974 Bill Davidson, and it also works great. I'll try to attach a pic.
Here's the link, just in
case:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39151498@N07/8197764689/in/set-72157625243085418/

Cheers,