There are some cheap beartrap pedals available that I have come to love.
They are made by VP (google VP beartrap pedals).  The bearings come set too
tight (IMO).  A little futzing with the adjustment and they work
beautifully.  You can get them for less than 20 bucks.  I have 3 sets and I
really  like them.