shellac/varnish/mastic - it oxidizes in the jar, which is the curing
process.
If  you want to keep it fresh (very important if you have expensive mastic
varnish, which is about $15/oz,. or even quality spar varnish) use this
product - Bloxygen - spray it under the bottle cap or can lid before you
close it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bloxygen&rlz=1C1PRFA_enUS414US414&aq=f&oq=bloxygen&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3.2750&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=bloxygen&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1C1PRFA_enUS414US414&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=QQcZUeKEDdPdqQHbrIHQBg&ved=0CGgQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.aWM&fp=e1c7ac95cf77e9dc&biw=1280&bih=625