Patrick,

I'm really kind of a "new" guy and only occasional participant here
myself, but I wanted to say welcome AND thanks for the inspiration!
My father, though quite a bit older than you, had a rare type of
stroke a few years ago that has primarily messed with his balance and
given him terrible vertigo.  Prior to that, he was an athletic
"machine" (he jogged to the top of the ski hill the day before his
stroke), so it's been tough to see him have to give so much up.  I've
been afraid to even TRY getting him back on a bike, but I think you've
just convinced me that it might be ok.  What are a few bruises and
scrapes if it doesn't work, right?

Also, I had an idea for a  family ride/vacation for you (per your
other thread).  It's not actually in the four corners area as you
mentioned, but it's not "too" far away - Northern Idaho.   I just
recently found out about it and am planning to take my youngest
daughter (middle child) on a first bike tour here later this summer,
when the snow melts, so I'm kind of excited about it:

It's known collectively as the Bitterroot Loop, and is actually
comprised of three rail-to-trail sections that will let you ride
anything up to 185 miles, completely car-free:  Trail of the Coer
D'Alenes, Route of the Hiawatha, and the Old Milwaukee Road.
Beautiful lakes, forests, gradule grades, tunnels, trestles, history.
The lower 70 miles is paved and runs through some quaint bike-friendly
towns, but the upper part is more remote.  Here's a link to the best
info page:

http://friendsofcdatrails.org/