I think Jim meant that the reply to author function is available if you do
the hover thing when you are viewing the list in Google Groups not Gmail.
 If you want to reply to author in gmail you need to cut and paste the
address.

I prefer the way IBOB works where the default is reply to author instead of
group especially when viewing on my phone because if I want to send to the
group the group is already in my address book so it can be added easily
without cutting and pasting.  If I accidentally send to the group instead
of the individual its not a big deal, I can just resend to the group, but
when the group is the default you end up with a bunch of extra emails that
were meant for the individual especially on FS posts.

Dan Abelson