On Friday, April 12, 2013 7:34:12 AM UTC-7, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-04-12 at 07:26 -0700, Tom Goodmann wrote:
> > I notice that bikes new and used often come without saddles and
> > pedals, and I have a pedal choice to make.  I've moved beyond clipless
> > (carbon no mas!), though not necessarily beyond clips/straps or Power
> > Grips; riding "naked" feels funny after so many years of being at
> > least in clips & straps, but of course worth trying. Otherwise I don't
> > know enough to make discriminating choices; the MKS Sylvans on my
> > XO-1, for instance, feel fine to me.  Some of your current favorites?
>
> SPDs.  I like the PDM 959 and the PDM 747.  I use step-on pedals on my
> shopper, but I wouldn't consider them for any ride longer than 4 or 5
> miles.  Too much hassle keeping my feet from slipping off or heels
> hitting the chain stays because I'm not placed on the pedal correctly.

I'm with Steve on this one. When I use step on pedal, my feet side around
too much. Now, the ones I used where the MKS sylvan. Maybe something like a
MKS bmx pedal might be better, but others will have to chime in on those.

My favorite pedals that I have on both of my road bike is the Speedplay
Frogs. Easy in and out, double-sided and light. I found them used for as
low as $25 (although cleats can be pricey at $30-35).  I think pedals and
saddles are those personal items that fall into the "what works for me, may
not work for you" category. Good Luck!