Hugh:

Well put.  Especially for people who are new to cycling, the concept of a
multi-thousand dollar bike is mind boggling.  I doubt there are more than a
handful of Rivendell owners who haven't cycled for years and owned numerous
bikes before taking the plunge.  Our little corner of the universe is the
lugged steel niche of the all-rounder / touring / country bike niche of the
niche sport of cycling.  I'm grateful to have found Rivendell and that
there are enough other enthusiasts for this ethos to be on-going.

I love the "beater car / sweet bike" idea.  Many years ago there was a
magazine article about "riders whose bikes are worth more than their
cars".  As far as I'm concerned, my Atlantis is already worth more than my
Toyota.

dougP