A fix that frequently works to get rid of shimmy is to use a Stronglight
needle roller bearing headset, as the bearing friction is greater than that
of an annular ball-bearing setup. Unfortunately they're no longer in
production, but if you hunt around they're still available. Look for an A9
or JDX14. An added advantage of roller bearing headsets is that they never
wear out. I have a Galli roller bearing headset that has been in one of our
tandems since 1979, and the bearings don't appear to have deteriorated in
the slightest.