Always interesting to see "outside the box" cycling innovations, usually, I
think, from people who don't have much knowledge or experience with
bicycles as they are now.

We've had one "inventive" customer, who for several years has been trying
to develop a new kind of human powered vehicle. Knowing little about
bicycles, he frequently goes to great lengths with machine shops and such
trying to solve problems that have been solved in the bicycle world for
many decades. Numerous times he's come in to the shop to ask our opinion on
some elaborate contraption he's assembled at great effort and
expense...only to be dismayed as we dig in the parts box and pull out an
inexpensive, widely available, and relatively elegant component that serves
the same purpose. He's a great character, but I think he'd have saved a lot
of money and time if he'd started by working a couple summers in bike shops.