Hope this isn't too off topic for the list.  I'm still really intrigued by
the Appaloosa concept, even though I can't quite explain why.  But since I
don't really have the opportunity to visit RBW headquarters and check one
out in person, I'm having to pay attention to the comments from others on
the list to try to get a better picture of it.  And any other limited
information I can find that might explain the ride characteristics and
theory behind a "long bike" is obviously valuable too.  So I was excited
to, by chance, just find another new bike that seems to share some of the
same thinking.

The only other bikes that I daydream about and lust after as much as
Rivendells are Jeff Jones Space Frames.  I'll bet some of you are in the
same boat, though.   It's odd because, on some levels, they're about as
opposite from each other as bikes can be - the Jones' are un-traditional in
style to say the least;  they use proprietary parts that can't be found on
a shelf anywhere; and they're really designed for serious off-road riding
as opposed to "occasional" off-road or versatility.  On the other hand,
Jones is another rare bird in the industry in that he equates comfortable
riding position with performance; doesn't get caught up in the hype of
ultra-light weight builds; and shuns suspension completely.  (Just as with
the Bridgestone mountain bikes, this non-suspended-yet-high-performance
mountain bike is still what appeals to me most, I guess, being way more of
a mountain biker than a roadie.)

So Jeff Jones' blog has a new entry describing a concept bike he's been
working on, that he's calling the "Lone Ranger,"  and it's main
charachteristics are much longer top tube and chainstays than his "normal"
bikes  (and room for even fatter rubber). Pretty cool.  And his description
seems to echo the same things many have said about the Appaloosa - that it
is NOT a sluggish, slow, old-guy's bike, and can hold its own quite well
off-road!  You  can see it here:

http://www.jonesbikes.com/?p=2828&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=58

So, for those of you who understand geometry better than me and/or have
ridden the Appaloosa, might this actually become a whole new direction for
the industry?

(P.S.:  I checked... Silver was a Tennessee Walking Horse, not an
Appaloosa.)