To SJB: I would recommend at least the medium based on how you'd like to
use it.

I use the medium saddlesack for commuting with a change of clothes. Any
smaller and I wouldn't be able to do it. I fold and pack my work clothes
(shirt and pants) in an Eagle Creek packing folder to keep me presentable.
It won't fit in the small; it can be maneuvered into the medium. (FWIW: I
have the small saddlesack, too. It's nice for packing a lunch and doing a
day trip.)

The medium doesn't require a rack, but if you're on a small bike, you may
have clearance issues. I have it on a 52cm Crosscheck (fistful or so of
seatpost), and if it weren't for the metal fenders and rack, it'd be on the
tire. It does reduce the capacity of the saddlebag, as opposed to those
having larger bikes with more room to the rear wheel. (Or same size bike
with smaller wheels.)

The large requires a rack. I recall some people having trouble with the
large and the tombstone on the Nitto Big Rack (though others seemed not to
mind). If I had to do it again, I would probably go with the large (since I
already have a rack, and could use the space).

--shoji