All this discussion about trail and this and that and I realized I didn't
care.  At 6'5" tall and 225 what many want to claim as heavy tubing isn't
heavy to me.   In my race bike days I liked areo wheels that were very
stiff and felt like you were on a rail and instantly put power to the road.

Then again it took me 1000 miles at the first of each year to get my neck
and back in shape to be comfortable in that aggressive position.     I'm
very fortunate to have found Rivendell and even more fortunate to have more
than one... I can say this, for me they do what I expect and better than
any other bike I've tried for the same purpose while giving me the look I
want.   For me that is not having 1/2 a football field of seat post
sticking out.  I think my Bombadil has to long a seat post for me but I
can't get over how well she rides.

Anyway the Bombadil

I used to tour on a Giant XL OCR Tour bike which came with Disc brakes.   I
did thousands of miles of touring the bike and it always got me home.
Over the years I went from touring on 700x28 Marathon Plus to 700x35's and
then as now I took what I wanted to have not worried about how much weight
was on the bike.     This is where the Bombadil shines.   The Giant with a
bit of technique was smooth and handled ok ... the Bombadil doesn't care
just pedal, in the saddle, out of the saddle you name it.   A typical
touring load for me is about 30 lbs give or take on the front.  About 12 in
each pannier and 6 to 10 on front basket.
On the rear Usually about 40 pounds depending on the amount of camera
equipment this may end up as high as 50.   The Bombadil lets me just ride
it and scream on the downhills... I can't tell you the joy of coasting down
hill loaded to the hilt in excess of 40 mph with one hand on the handlebar
and on holding my hat on while being steady as a rock.. or laying through
turns with a solid concise feel.  Not to mention the comfort of 700x50
tires..  There may be better bikes out there for some.. but this one has
the ability to do what I need.   It also does great on those 40 ish mile
city rides with just some cameras thrown in the large sackville on the back
or in the front basket.. she just doesn't car.

My A Homer Hilsen

Has turned into the Atlantis i can never find ... front Marks Rack with
small bag then an arkel handlebar bag hanging over that with a large
saddlesack on the rear which now has foam installed for camera gear.    I
have 700x37 pasela on the rear and a 700x33.3 JB on the front and drop
bars.  It's become the duplicate but does so much.  It fills in as a tour
bike, it handles club rides, it does everything good and fits like a dream.

Rambouillet

When I couldn't find a 68 cm Atlantis I went the other way and jumped on
this frame.   At 68cm with brooks saddle and 48cm noodles cages and all it
still comes in at 25lbs which is about 6 pounds heavier than my Giant TCR 0
Dura Ace carbon racer.    This includes the Rene Herse triple, dyno,
supernova headlight and taillight, 700x29 gran boise tires and velo orange
raid rims with a b17.  As you can see if weight was an issue dropping a few
pounds would not be a issue with different stuff.     This one of all my
Rivs has more of the race bike feel to it.  Twichty is the wrong word but
more that direction than the Homer.   A good feel and it handles fast
downhills and sharp turns with precision and grace.  (even with me on it)
  The only time I miss my Giant is when sprinting and then the Ram is just
not stiff enough for me.   My only real gripe at the moment is that it
doesn't have a kickstand.   Other than that it is fast, comfortable, and
the best event bike / century bike I've ever owned.

Quickbeam

Fits like a dream and rides like a dream, but sits most of the time.   My
knees have been bothering me and though no big long climbs short steep ones
make this an end of year kinda bike.. for sale too.. just not at the
devalued level I've seen Riv's going for lately.. she will collect dust
before I give her away.
The ride is stable, smooth and a dream ...

Everyone likes something different  or thinks they know the best.   Well
you do know what is best for you, but that doesn't make it best for anyone
else.   Remember that and trust what feels good and works good for you.
Just because someone says a bike will wag the tail if you have a seat bag
doesn't make it so.
Or just because someones decides that because they experienced it one way
it's fact for all just laugh and move on.   For me and my size most of the
information I see and hear has to be taken if a large grain of sand as it
doesn't relate.  I go through tires faster, bottom brackets faster, brake
pad's and the list goes on.

I like different bikes and have not found a 68cm bike on the market that
does what the bikes I have do ...  I'm happy and since I've been riding
mine many friends have bought them as well.  Which is a bummer in a way
because I liked being the only Rivs on the ride.  Now there is usually two
or three out of 12 to 15 riders... and they are cleaner and tape wrapped
straighter and not as scratched up and beat up as mine grrrrr..

My Ram to me fits the bill of my wifes Roadeo and my AHH is setup now like
I would setup a 68cm Atlantis but I can't fit the tires and the Bombadil is
the best tour bike I've ever ridden.  I am blessed and grateful

Well off to ride I'm down to either the Homer or the Bomba today as I'm
heading to the bike races with two camera bodies and zooms with tripod and
flash units... guess I'll figure it out in the garage on the way out the
door..

Short folks / well anyone under 6'3" have a lot more choice and things to
argue about.   I couldn't fit in the cool sports cars either .. so for me
to have a great fit, a great look and function that meets all my needs is a
joy.

Keep riding and be safe.

Kelly