The old road is closed.  You can't go on it like Lee said.  I've ridden the
tunnel both ways numerous times and I find it safe and acceptable.  Get
there early (before 9am) or late in the day and you should be fine.
Regardless one should feel comfortable riding with some traffic for about
2-3 miles on either side of the Tunnel.  The narrow shoulder is only for a
short section before and after the Tunnel.  The tunnel has a HUGE shoulder
and cars are going relatively slow, and the tunnel is well lit and vented.
When exiting the tunnel, wait or time yourself for a break in the traffic
(traffic pulses through here due to traffic lights in Pacifica/Linda Mar)
and take the lane till the shoulder reappears.  People will usually wait
for you to get to Moss Beach.  Pluses for the tunnel are it is quicker, you
get to ride through a tunnel under a mountain, and you get to ride along
the cliffs and the ocean. If this sounds like too much ride Planet of the
Apes, which adds some dirt adventure, more miles and climbing, and about
half hour to hour more riding time.  Plus, getting to the start of Planet
can be a bit tricky if you don't know where it is.

Gabe