Worried, I spoke to Bill from Wallbike. He says that the old Brooks colored
saddles were a black or brown saddle topped with a different color. The
abrasion on the saddle made the true color show through almost immediately.
Brooks has changed the way these saddles are made over the past few years -
something about using a new tanner. I'll quote him here:

"The color variations that have been introduced in the last few years are the
result of Brooks finding a tanner with a new process for coloring the leather.
All in all I would guess that the color in your red saddle would be as stable
as the black, honey, and antique brown versions. If I had a bike that could use
a red B.17 I wouldn't hesitate to use one. "

Also, he was clear that re-dyeing is a poor option; the leather has to be raw
and the new color won't stick over the old dye. Are you all out of excuses not
to buy that cheery red saddle? Join me, the water's fine!  *Grin*

I feel better! Seriously, All, thanks for the discourse; I'm definitely
learning more all the time! And it is so much fun.