David:

Thanks for getting us together for this ride.  I notice you do NOT have a
photo of the Abyss of Death!  As Hugh & I tip-toed along the gravel shelf,
he was trying to get shot of it; hope he succeeded.

Being a "run what you brung" guy, I dismissed David's suggestion that this
more of a knobby kinda ride.  In the future I intend to take his
suggestions more seriously.  His "mixed surfaces" tend to be sand, gravel,
hard pack, severely broken pavement and a token amount of highway.  Make
sure to bring a bike that's easy to carry :).

An interesting factoid for those who live out of So Cal:  This ride was
within an hour of millions of people.  And there are tons of places like
this around Southern California.  You don't have to get far out your back
door for serious adventure.

dougP