Woke up early this morning and headed out with Rocky Point Rd on my mind.
After a stop for coffee in St Johns I headed across the bridge and onto Hwy
30 for some miles (10? 15?) to the bottom of Rocky Point Rd. Traffic on 30
wasn't bad. There was the usual collection of debris on the shoulder and a
long stretch of rough pavement which is getting prepared for resurfacing
but wasn't really an issue given my 35mm Schwalbe Supremes.

I started heading up Rocky Point Rd and thinking about the first time I
rode it, maybe 6 and a half years ago. I was on my Lemond with a low gear
of 39/25 and was wearing bibs and on SPDs. I had no idea what to expect
from the climb and wasn't looking forward to it at all. Today I was wearing
some shorts, wool t-shirt and platform pedals. My low gear on my Hilsen is
26/28. I rode the first third of the climb in 36/28 which was fine but
there's a spot where the road cranks up and I dropped into my granny,
slowed down and just took in the scenery which is a mixture of clearcut and
dense forest. The road gets very little traffic so it's quite a pleasant
climb.

I've really grown to love climbing. When I lived in SF and would head out
with friends to ride Bolinas Ridge I was always somewhat anxious as I
struggle on the climbs, yo-yoing off the back hoping I wouldn't get dropped
to hard. I moved up here, started doing a lot of riding by myself, got
turned onto Rivendell and learned to appreciate low gearing and a leisurely
pace. I actually wish the Rocky Point Climb was longer.

In an effort to enjoy the climb a little more I pulled onto one of the
logging roads and explored a couple of arteries. Nothing seemed to offer an
alternative route back to Rocky Point Rd but I did discover some nice
singletrack which I'll explore sometime soon in the future.

I made my way back to Rocky Point Rd and continued the climb up to the top
where it connects with Skyline Blvd, a nice quiet stretch of rolling road.
If I had had more time I would have ventured over to Dixie Mtn for some
gravel rambling but I needed to be home so I headed back to Portland,
dropping off of Skyline at Logie Trail which offers a fast steep twisty
descent. Logie Trail is quite narrow and the pavement is in bad shape.
Making the descent even more treacherous was a fair amount of gravel spread
across the road, I guess in an attempt to patch potholes. I made it down
without incident and headed back to Portland, stopping at a 7-11 for some
V8 and snacks as I was feeling a bonk coming on.

I'm really glad I got out for this ride and did a little exploring. Here's
some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/sets/72157633719837295/

--mike