HA - good one!

I forgot to mention one snide remark from a fellow asking where my racks,
bags, and panniers were. Pretty sure I kicked his ass.

I also meant to point out in my original post that I'm NOT a racer. Don't
have the knack for it, not good at it, don't really enjoy it, haven't
really raced anything since college days more than two decades ago. I much
prefer to just ride, but I'm also not totally averse to riding hard once in
awhile. And this mixed surface course was pretty fun to ride.

This event is a bit different, though. I think one of the S2S slogans is
"more than just a race." As you can sense from the pics, it was a fun "boys
weekend" - hanging out, joking and laughing with a bunch of colleagues as
another school year draws to a close.

The top teams recruit racers from all over the world, and they get
national, olympic, and worlds caliber athletes (thus the S2S nickname
"Bellingham Olympics.") Those teams finish hours ahead of us. My team is
mostly 40ish guys in better than average (USA) shape, that somehow find the
whole event (weekend) fun. One guy is a triathlete, but I think he's the
only racer in the bunch. Still, we finished 144th out of nearly 500 teams -
many of those teams finished hours behind us (and they had fun, too.)

I think these sorts of events are becoming more popular, and they are
pretty laid back and fun. So if you get an invite - consider it.