I just got around to installing the long reach Tektro interrupters this
weekend. It seems to me I was correct in my assumption that the quick
release works off the reach adjuster screw.
The farther in the screw is, or the closer the lever is to the bar
determinshow much slack
is in housing you get by turning the little red knobs. On the ones I have
if you have the maximum amount of reach, or the screw backed out as far as
it will go there is zero amount of slack generated by turning the red
knobs. I have mine set up with the screws about half way screwed into the
holes and this gets me  1, maybe 1 1/2 mm of slack.  The rear brakes on
this particular setup are slack enough that I can get the noodle from its
cradle by simply pushing the q/r button on the main brake lever (also
Tektrobranded, don't remember the model number). The front falls short
of this by
what looks a little over 1 mm.  I can twist the red knob on the interrupter
and get just enough slack for the cradle to release the noodle.  I can see
very little that the "knobs" actually do.  IMO they
are not very good as a q/r nor as a reach adjuster as the amount is
extremely minimal in either case.
  You DO get some, if very little of both. I haven't gotten to test them
much other than a couple of trips around the cul de sac but they seem to
work very well.
I should probably note that turning the knob doesn't always put the levers
into q/r mode.
Sometimes you might need to push the lever outward as you turn the knob to
get it to click into place.
Also it might spring back on its own. All in all nice levers with nice
feel.  I don't see why
they bothered with the knobs as they do very little (IMHO) . I think a 1/4
turn on the barrel adjusters would accomplish the task just as well.  Now
if only they modulated as well as caliper/ cantis.

Best,
Clyde Canter