Okay...I managed to actually get out for a about a mile. Sigh.

Naturally enough after I'd spent some time taking off the saddlebag and my
Brooks B-17 Select off my Hunqapillar and putting on the C-17 I discovered
my front tire had flatted. I guess I was lucky to make it home because I
hadn't noticed anything. I'm also using Schwalbe Marathons with Green Guard
and rarely ever have a problem with those tires.

Sure enough I found a bent nail protruding from the tire. I haven't found
the hole in the tube yet (though I know where it HAS to be). In truth I
didn't really look hard, just cleared the tire, slapped in a new tube,
pumped it up and ...

My first ride on the C-17. As it was already getting late and I'd had tire
issues I didn't really have time to do more than cycle around my block and
neighboring blocks a few times.

The saddle is comfortable. It feels to me like a slightly smaller B-17, but
it still fit my bones and I'm a big guy so no problems there. It feels
broken in already and yes, the saddle is slightly springy, more so than a
new Select, probably about the same as a new Standard (which seem much
'looser' to me, but then the leather is thinner I think).

I wondered about the angle of the C-17 and whether I'd need to keep the
nose up as I do with B-17s and yes, I did have to make sure the nose is up
a bit. I haven't quite adjusted it perfectly yet, but it's pretty good. I
did try it with the nose even and it's not good for me at all in the same
way a B-17 isn't at that angle.

I did take some more photos but I'm not sure I followed instructions. :-(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgps-bob/sets/72157633979190099/

On the whole it felt fine and while I need to fine tune the position I
think I'll be happy with it. I can't say if I'll keep it on the Hunq for
long, but it'll find a spot. Right now I'm thinking I may put it on my Bike
Friday when I prep that for RAGBRAI 2013.

As for the C-17 being waterproof...yeah, I guess it is. But honestly I live
in Honolulu where we get a fair bit of rain. I've never left my bike out in
the rain without a cover on the saddle, but all of my leather saddles have
gotten wet, damp, moist, splashed, sweated on and over, and in the end,
they are all fine. I'm not sure I see the need for a waterproof Brooks
(other than marketing), but I'm glad to have a chance to try one.

I'll be commuting on it tomorrow and hopefully either Saturday or Sunday I
can put on some miles and really give it a fair test.

So far so good.

Aloha,

Bob

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Michael <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for those pics Bob.
>>
> I think they are trying to make it their waterproof saddle or something?
> Let us know how it rides/feels.
>
> Can you post an eye level profile shot so we can see the contour of the
> seat top from the rear to nose?
> Also an eye level pic of back of saddle to see the shape of the arc of the
> saddle top from left to right?
>
> Just if you have time. Thanks.

Robert Harrison
Honolulu, HI