I've had a chance to take about a 10 mile ride today after work which
included a bit of climbing and, of course, some descents to go along with
the climbs.

The first couple of miles I have to admit I stopped more than started while
I tweaked the angle of the saddle. Okay, I had to stop three times to get
it right but I do believe it's good now. This isn't really any different
than any of the leather Brooks I own - always a bit finicky at first then
locked in.

Since this was an urban ride on roads that vary from freshly paved to badly
in need of help I was able to get a pretty good feel for the saddle in a
variety of conditions. Long distance will have to wait till the actual
weekend though.

My first impression on a real ride was that the saddle didn't need any
breaking in. Admittedly I'm a big guy and have never had to spend a whole
lot of time breaking in a leather Brooks. In fact my Select, stiffest of
the bunch, felt pretty good from the outset and while it has adapted a bit
since November when it was new, I've never felt uncomfortable.

That being said, the C-17 has been comfortable from the get go as well
(angle not withstanding). I can feel some give in it when going over bumps
(that I don't see - usually I use my legs as shocks on the ones I do). It
doesn't feel like it's giving to much and needs to be tightened, just a
little cushioning. I'm not sure how much lighter folks might fare but I
suspect it's all good.

In fact, once I'd adjusted the angle, the biggest thing I noticed about the
saddle is that I didn't actually notice it. Since all my bikes use one B-17
or another I'm pretty used to having more or less the same experience on
all my bikes - thus I really only notice anything when something is 'off.'

The ride was fun and I'm looking forward to giving it a longer workout this
weekend.

"Did it stick to your clothes like you thought it would?"

Umm..sort of and sort of not. The top of the saddle, the part that is
partially cloth, is fine. It doesn't stick or drag on my clothes. I tend to
wear MUSA knickers, shorts of the same sorts of materials, and Columbia
convertible pants (wear 'em long to work and shorts on the way home). I
can't say how jeans or other actual natural material might do, but the man
made fibers I wear don't have an issue with the top of the saddle.

But...and this has only happened twice in a bunch of dismounts, the bottom
edge of the saddle is more or less exposed rubber. When I've swung my leg
up to clear the saddle and dismount I have had it snag a bit on the fabric.
The first time it happened I stopped, sat back down, and tried again. The
second time I just twisted a bit and my leg came free. As I dismount when
stopped I don't think there'll be a problem. If, however, you are one of
those who dismounts while coasting it's something to think about.

I expect this will stop as the rubber gets rubbed a bit more. And,
honestly, this could easily happen on the rougher bit of leather on the
bottom edge of a new Brooks leather saddle - it's not like I haven't gotten
myself caught on the nose once or twice (or thrice...). Still it felt like
cloth catching on rubber.

I also had another concern this morning. Normally I leave my helmet out to
dry out on my lanai but for some reason last night I slung the helmet
straps over the nose of the saddle. Remember, this saddle is 'natural.'
Well this morning I discovered an ugly stap mark underneath the wear the
helmet strap had been. Shoots. I didn't realize my strap was that sweaty. I
figured I'd be careful in the future and thought about how I'd clean this
up. I locked the bike up at work (we have a combo locked cage with racks)
and did my eight hours.

When I came out the mark was gone. Clearly it was just moisture.

I guess this makes sense. As I recall from prior days plastic saddles that
aren't at all absorbent just get slick and icky when they get wet (from
rain or more likely, sweat). Leather, of course, does absorb a bit. Well
apparently so does the fabric on the saddle. What this means in the long
run I don't know, but it dried out and no mark was left.

Given how folks sweat this might, on the natural saddle, lead to moisture
marks one might not wish to explain. :-)

In any case, after a short 10 mile ride I'm happy with the saddle.

Now, as for it's looks. I actually like the thing. No, it's not leather,
but it's not a plastic bit of awfulness either. It looks like a quality
saddle. Do I like the looks more than my leather saddles...not, not really,
but it's not, at least to my mind, ugly. In fact it matches my Acorn bags
on the Hunq fairly well so it doesn't look out of place at all.

That's it for now. I'll have a long ride this weekend (hopefully) and will
report back again on how I feel after at least a couple of dozen miles.

Aloha,

Bob

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Michael <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the pics. I see the contours now.
>>

> So, the saddle looks like it is made out of metal, rubber, and plastic,
> and whatever the cloth is on top?
>
> Did it stick to your clothes like you thought it would?

Robert Harrison
Honolulu, HI
rfharri...@gmail.com
statrix.com