I'm intrigued by Grant's idea of 40-26 front gearing for my Sam Hillborne,
but Riv is out of their wide-low cranks and there's actually nothing wrong
with Sugino triple that's on there now. So I was wondering if it would be
possible to just replace the middle ring with a 40, and either replace the
outer ring with a bash guard or just leave it as is. Would the Tiagra
triple derailler I have on there work well with this configuration?
Obviously I could reset the limit screw to restrict its range to the inner
and middle rings. But could I also lower the mounting position to match the
middle ring? Or would the outer ring be in the way?

If it works, this would be a neat way to try out wide-low gearing for the
price of 1 chain ring. Thoughts?

Jay