I did a lot of 40-60 milers last summer. I find them comfortable for any
distance and can't possibly imagine them getting less comfortable for longer
distances (assuming of course, you like riding them to begin with). I have
many, many years on these bars now--ever since since 2006, when I wrote my blog
post "The Albatross Handlebar Fan Club." I've tried other h-bars since but
always gone back to a-bars. My feeling is that they provide the best of all
worlds (at least for me). Need to relax the back and neck and take some weight
of wrists and hands? Grab the very ends. That's great for a steep descent with
hard braking. Gets the weight back on the bike. Need to get aero or just
stretch out? Grab the bends out front. Need to switch up between the two
positions? Grab right at where the brake levers are or just above. I usually
have 2 fingers in front of the brake clamp and 2 behind. That position is my
favorite for climbing (especially out of the saddle). Mix those three up and a
couple of others, make sure you have a wide saddle, and all is well. That's
all. Nothing else to say on this.

Perry