One of my long time rides takes me up to Smugglers Notch. I've done this 45
mile ride from my home pretty much once a year for the past thirty years
and one of my life goals is to do it for my 70th birthday, 15 months from
now.  The climb has 1800 feet of climbing in a 9 mile stretch, but 1000
feet of that comes in the last 3 miles of steady 7-10%, and most of the
rest in the first mile.  I'm about 25% slower now than I was at the turn of
the millennium and this time I had to walk up the 75-100 meters of 20%+
grade, but I made it, and am feeling pretty good about that, even though it
seems clear I will need to loose 20 lbs if I want to ride up non stop a
year from now..  Ms Saluki is quite comfortable going back down at 45 mph.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2Grq0zwGOWHQK

It's hard to see altitude!

Michael