Michael,

Only help I can offer is you may have the cable too tight.  Through a lot
of trial and error have found that the cable needs to be snug, but not
really tight to handle index shifting properly.  (At least on my Sam
Hillborne and Surly LHT).

Also check that the rear derailleur adjustment knob isn't out too much.
That just fine tunes the shifting.  Had it too far out on my LHT recently
and the shifting was doing similar things to what you describe.

Sorry couldn't be of more help, as I've never been on a tandem.
Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN