Thanks for your input, Michael.  Yes, given the great emphasis on bicycling
infrastructure and culture, there are tons of good bike shops in Zurich,
and I have visited a few.  I have however yet to find a 'riv-ish' bike shop
that specializes in classic bicycles.  I did however find an amazing shop
in Berne today called Velostatt <http://velostatt.ch/>.  They stock Surly,
Velo Orange, Gilles Berthoud, Brooks, Pashley. etc.

I also found a custom bike shop called GOrilla urban
cycling<http://gorillabicycles.com/> in
Zurich.  They make and sell a different style of bike, but the guy knows
how to source quality parts.  I have been there a couple of times now, and
I think they will be the ones doing work on my riv going forward :).  Here
is a video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8ZUEKEoDY>from one of my
visits.

Agreed--Zurich is expensive, but with low taxes and higher incomes, after
the initial sticker shock, it is manageable.