Ron,

Not only did your friend take ten minutes longer, but he failed on one
very important safety rule:

Do not place yourself to the right of right-turning cars if you are
going straight.

Going straight when the cars to the left of you are turning right is a
recipe for being right hooked. So many people get this one wrong. In
my area, we sometimes have to go through freeway
overpasses/underpasses. I see so many cyclists failing to make the
merge away from the freeway on-ramp lane, before it turns into the
on-ramp lane. Then they are forced to cross the on-ramp at a right
angle, passing in front of cars that don't expect traffic to their
right.  Don't do this.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Ron Mc <bulldog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, I couldn't read the link on the work computer, but the pdf is
> great.  The article is also very good.  Educating police officers is good,
> but this information needs to get to the general public.
> The lane controlling discussion reminds me of is a big shopping center in
> town where virtually 100% of the traffic takes the right lane to turn onto
> the highway, and backs up for two long blocks - very consistent here.  When
> my buddy and I turned left from the shopping center and were going straight
> under the highway, I took the left lane, all alone, and rode through the
> light - to the surprise and dismay of the queuing Honda to my right.  My
> buddy, on the other hand, went for the right curb, and met me under the
> overpass 10 minutes later.
> Another lane-controlling incident - this was a 5-lane lane road with a 45
> mph speed limit.  Was following my friends on their tandem and being the big
> blinking red warning signal.  The shoulder disappears on some bridges, so I
> was intentionally controlling the right lane.  A pickup truck played chicken
> with me for control of the right lane, even though he had zero traffic in
> the left lane.
> There's never a cop when you need one.
>
> On Friday, August 2, 2013 10:39:59 AM UTC-5, Steve Palincsar wrote:
>>
>> On 08/02/2013 11:35 AM, Lyle Bogart wrote:
>>
>> Interesting article, Patrick. Thanks for posting it!
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> lyle
>>

>> On 1 August 2013 18:52, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://lawandordermag.epubxp.com/i/144260/54
>>>
>>> Very much worth reading, and thanks to the boblister who posted it on
>>> that list. I think it worth posting on this one. I, an urban commuter since
>>> roughly 1967, learned new things.
>>>
>>> Note that, with a bit of effort, you *can* save it as a PDF.
>>

>> Attached is the article plus the magazine cover, extracted from the
>> complete issue.

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.