I never went to my LBS this time to buy a bike. I'd not ridden a bike for
about 10 years due to my brain injury, though every now and again I'd
foolishly hop on my wife's Dahon folder (I have constant neurological
vertigo due to damage in my brain stem). One day, after going barefoot or
moccasined for three years (which opened up being able to walk, hike, and
run without sticks for the first time since 2002) I tried the folder again.
Success! I could ride to .2 of a mile without my brain shorting out.
Gadzooks! What if the bike fit me, what material would be best? How could I
test out my best thoughts at answers without breaking the bank?

I connected with a bike ministry in our area and they let me try out a few
bikes. Steel definitely. But I was only able ride 3 miles on the China
Schwinn cross bike. It felt fairly swimmy. After reading a lot and
searching, I discovered Rivendell and Grant. We talked. He thought I was
nuts (not wrong) but I somehow convinced him that his bike would not be the
instant finishing of the job that's been started on my noggin.

I don't track milage, but days of fun on the bike over the last 16 months
of having my Hunqapillar have been over 300 I'd guess. I can't (yet) run
errands with it much (too much stimulation in towns and shops), but it is
how I make it through town quickly to the trailhead to escape the regular
noise or run the trails. It's opened up backcountry travel for me again (I
can't carry weight above my waist), and I've have grand tours of the Great
Divide Mountain Bike Trail and the Colorado Trail and other backcountry
singletrack and roads. It's opened up backcountry touring with my family.

As near as I can tell because the attention Grant pays to every design and
manufacturing detail, the quality, the lugs, and how they transfer the
energy of the bike on the earth to the rider (I use proprioception through
my feet and hands and rear to know where I am in space, though my brain
hasn't a clue) is so qualitatively different that riding this bike helps my
brain recover -- I just have to be doing well enough to hop on it and go
(not always easy to come by).

With abandon,
Patrick