Obviously, it is frustrating to not have your bike.  Doubly so if it's
sitting somewhere waiting to be painted.

But, if I understand the scenario so far, Rivendell is repairing the frame
for free and is having it repainted.  They've also offered a replacement
bike. Is that a "loaner" until it's back or full-on replacement?  (In other
words,  a replacement means they are going to eat the cost of the repair
and repaint, plus the cost of the new frame, and try to offset that by
reselling your repaired/repainted frame at some future point.)

That seems like a pretty fair offer, either way.

It does seem like some missed communication - and I wouldn't attempt to
conjecture why there were changes or delays.  But, if the rub is Steve Rex
or Bernie Mikkelsen - that's a pretty high class problem. Either way those
are two talented frame builders.

I guess it strikes me that both the person who operates the torch, and the
person who is running the paint process are not Rivendell employees.  And
Rivendell is caught between them and you, probably trying to skate that
fine line of putting pressure on the person doing the work while
maintaining a much longer-term relationship with them, while keeping you
happy.  They have a few things at their control - the above mentioned
bicycle replacement, for example - and they have no control over most of
it.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to get them off the hook.  But, I've been in
that position many times during my stint in retail and didn't always get
the straight story from repair person - a lot of times you end up passing
on the best information you have at the time.  Sometimes it's wrong.

It's hard to come to the conclusion that anyone has tried to be deceptive.
Sometimes it's just as hard for them to get the info, too.

Finally, maybe it's the language of your post, but have all of your
communications with Rivendell been my email?  I hope you did get them on
the phone for most of the conversation - often it's hard to tell tone or
level of frustration from text alone.

Hopefully your bike will be back in your hands soon.

- Jim