On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> Carbon blades are the only reason to get Opinel knives that I can see,
> other than good value for a stainless blade. Carbon holds a sharper edge
> than stainless, but requires actual care (oiling as needed) to prevent rust.

Only reason?  I bought my Opinel (discovered them a few years ago) because
they are SHARP, and easy to keep that way, cheap, good blade lock,
lightweight, don't look like a military grade weapon (what's with knives
these days?), and classic.

I don't find the maintenance to be all that bad... I was worried I'd be
carrying around a stick of rust, but even after tipping my kayak and
falling into brackish water it didn't rust.  All I did was wipe it down
with vinegar to force a a surface patina on the first day and since then I
use it, wipe it, wash it, just like any other knife I've ever owned and
just stick it back in my pocket.  Other than moisture causing the handle to
swell and making it harder to open sometimes I've had no issues at all --
definitely not rust.

I love to look at the blade and wonder at the interesting color patterns
(grey and blue) and how they vary after every use.

Pic:  http://www.imgur.com/1TQKVNa

The tip is a bit tweaked from dropping it once, but otherwise it's still in
great condition after years of daily use.