40 x 26 is plenty.  Run the numbers with any normal cassette.  Compact
double is all most people need.  You need a triple carrying or hauling lots
of weight, and maybe need it for serious off road riding.  But if you lay
out the numbers, an intelligently selected compact double gives you
everything you need and nothing you don't need.