Tom,
Short Answer: another vote for a large Saddlesack.
Long Answer: be sure to think through your commuting process.  From personal
experience, I transitioned from panniers to a large Saxdlesack because of my
personal routine and preferences.  I commute several days a week by bike and
the other days by car or bus.  When I started bike commuting, I liked panniers
for the ease of attaching and removal from bike.  Over time, though, I found
transferring things from panniers to a briefcase or a backpack tedious on the
days I drove or took the bus.  (i am sure there are panniers that convert to
backpacks or briefcases to allow easier transport off the bike.) The large
Saddlesack is spacious enough to hold my briefcase and/or backpack.  This keeps
life more simple and minimizes the likelihood I forget something in a bag at
home.  The downside to the large Saddlesack is that it is not as easy to switch
it between bikes as with a set of panniers.  Finally, a more permanently attach
Saddlesack might bring unwanted attention to your bike depending on where you
have to secure it at school.
All the best,
Erl