Something about silicon reminds me of grabbing hold a squid in rigger. I
just don't find it a pleasant experience. It's too squishy (not enough
feedback from the bars) and unbreathable. What's the attraction? Now cork,
cotton tape, and some shellac, I'm a happy lad.

ESI grips are rather firm, not at all like silicone padded saddles for
instance.  I use silver ESIs on my not painted and not polished stainless
steel bike, as the color is close to the stainless steel.

When I last had my Albatross bars, I used fiber infused track bar grips.
 Plenty of bar feel there.