That approach matches mine, Perry. Crutches (anything padded/supportive)
sould be used as a last resort, and then only temporarily if possible.
While I've not dealt with these issues, I have found that getting the
foundational things right (diet, core strength, active proprioception,
etc.) allows the body to function and recover as much as possible, which
often eliminates the problems faced, or at least allows the body to work
around them. I call it accessing God's engineering.

With abandon,
Patrick