I can't really say I drank the Rivendell Kool-Aid but I have been
positively influenced by Grant's ideas.  When I was first referred to RBW's
website, I stuck around and studied it largely because I already held a lot
of the same ideals.  High handlebars, wide-range gearing, fatter tires,
comfortable position, utility, etc...   However, Grant's ideas did get me
back on steel after a 5-year hiatus where I rode Aluminum and he inspired
me to spec my own build from the frameset up.  Also, even though I had
always ridden 35-38mm tires, my inclination was to go skinnier.  Grant
changed that.  I've been using friction thumbshifters and I might just end
up using bar-ends on my soon-to-happen drop bar conversion.  Neither of
those would have ever happened if not for Grant's writing.

I don't particularly care about lugs or fancy paint or leather saddles or
pull-back handlebars.  I prefer a bike that leans more toward the "agile"
side of things than the "stable" side.  You'd have to pay me a significant
amount of money to get me to go bike camping or touring or riding in the
rain so all the braze-ons are wasted on me (my bike does have them
though).

All in all, Grant and RBW have influence me in some very positive ways but
I can't say I've drank the Kool-Aid.