Jeff, thanks for the link but after reading that thread, I'm even more
convinced that it's a google mobile app problem. (See forum post below.)

• Perry

POST FROM FORUM:
Re: Iphone 4s Takes Pictures Upside-Down???
Oct 30, 2011 12:07 AM (in response to BEEZR)
It is not a bug in the iPhone, it is a bug in the viewing software and there
have been several threads about this 'problem' in the last couple of years.
The explanation is rather simple.

The EXIF metadata spec contains a field which defines how the image should be
rotated for proper viewing, i.e. 'which side is up'

Along about version 3.13 or so of iOS the software was changed to utilize that
field of the EXIF spec--likely to facilitate faster photo saves from the
camera.  Prior to that time iOS devices with cameras physically rotated image
data so that the rotation value field of the EXIF metadata could be set to
zero.  This allowed the images to display properly on those apps that were (and
many still are) brain dead, i.e. they ignore the EXIF rotation field assuming
it is zero, but that practice greatly increased the image to image time because
rotating the image is CPU intensive and is better left to systems with fast
CPUs.

So, the problem does not lie within the iPhone, it lies within the other apps
that have so far failed to recognize and/or support the EXIF standard properly.
 Don't complain to Apple, complain to those companies with brain dead
software--and there are quite a few still in the dark ages of image
presentation.  As a previous poster stated even Apple's own Safari doesn't
handle it correctly (or at least it didn't earlier this year...I haven't
checked lately).

I have suggested to Apple that they provide a switch to enable the old practice
of rotating the image prior to saving but that has never happened.  If set to
ON one could be notified that image to image time would be increased and the
user could then decide to use it or not.  I suspect it wasn't added because the
explanation of the function it provides could be confusing to non-technical
users but I have nothing to support that suspicion.

It should also be noted that virtually all high end cameras set the rotation
field, they do not rotate the image prior to saving.