+1 on Ultegra bar ends on Paul's Thumbies.  I was coming off a MTB to my
Ram and the oem DT shifters were uncomfortably distant for me to shift
properly.  I set up an indexed 3x9 with thumbies which I am very happy
with.  I did get a 48cm noodle to mitigate crowding of all that hardware on
top of the bars.  Having the output cables of both shifters pointed towards
each other so close to the stem necessitates having them mounted at odd
angles to each other to allow them to cross effectively.  Only a deal if
perfect symmetry is important to you.  I need to move my hands to shift
from my normal ride position on the curves to downshift but can rotate my
thumb across the bar to move to a higher gear.  I also like the idea of
mounting the thumbies under the bar as someone else suggested.  Maybe a
winter project.

BC