As the OP rides in SoCal, I would recommend my personal setup (in North
Carolina) of a Patagonia down vest with a Marmot "Optima" Gore-Tex
(paclite) shell. I actually like the vest over a long sleeve wool layer
when riding in the cold (doesn't overheat, usually), and the Optima jacket
is the first jacket I've had that's actually waterproof and
breathable/light. I also have a Patagonia down sweater but rarely wear it
here since it doesn't really get extremely cold.

The Optima jacket is available at a pretty good discount from Sierra
Trading Post (google retailmenot.com for coupons):
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-optima-gore-tex-paclite-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~3969d