Update on this:  I found a non-Shadow Deore M591 at the local Performance
Bike and put that on the tandem, worked perfect with the 12-36.  Even
worked with my Microshift brifters without even fiddling with the barrell
adjuster or the b-screw, go figure.  Shifted perfect into every gear.

One thing I do like to do with a derailer when I put it on a new to it bike
is to adjust the limit screws before I put the chain on.  I know the
directions don't say to do it that way but I've had pretty good luck with
it.

--
Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!