I'm still thinking about setting up a dedicated mountain bike for
offroad touring. As I read journals and articles online, I see that
the various frame bags made by Revelate and others are becoming
popular. Like this one:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Seat-Bags/Viscacha

And I don't get it. Why would a bag like that, which is small and
which has a small opening so it's harder to load, be better than a
transverse saddlebag such as Carradice and Riv sell?

I was looking at different bikes at my LBS today, and oh, look at
that, suddenly mountain bike manufacturers like Salsa are selling
rigid bikes as mountain bikes. Hmm.

--
-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.