I've been using a brush for years and years. Since I was a teenager, I
think. I got two brushes at a garage sale - one is stiff and terrible, and
flips soap at the mirror while making a latherless mess. The other is soft
and fantastic, creating lots of bubbly shaving foam with very little work.
I've used it daily (mostly) since I got it, and it looks and works exactly
the same as it ever did.

I have a shaving mug, which is just like a regular mug, but with little
nubs in the bottom to hold the soap, and I just throw all our old soap
slivers in. They lather up beautifully, and if you're showering with soap
you like, you'll like the soap you shave with. Every year or two I scrape
the mug out and start semi-fresh.

Re: Topics later in the thread. The blades I use are Gillette Mach 3(? 5?)
Three I think. The older ones that go for weeks. They aren't cheap, but I
don't find I buy them very often, either. I used to cut my own hair until
about 5 years ago when my vintage clippers died and the new ones I got were
just TERRIBLE. Now I just go to the barber, and they do a better job than I
could.

Philip
www.biketinker.com