Given that the current A23 has parallel sidewalls, it doesn't matter
whether or not I was right claiming that my A23s a couple years ago were
parallel or not.  I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I was simply
wrong about it.  The only thing I'll point out to the "why would they do
that?" question is that Velocity did not design this rim for wide tire
applications and cantilever brakes.  Velocity designed this rim for 700c
road bikes which mainly have caliper brakes.  They only agreed to
manufacture some of the A23 extrusion in 650B when they were paid to do so
by Longleaf and Boulder.  There have been plenty of rims out there with
non-parallel sidewalls in the past, but virtually all rim-brake rims today
are parallel and that's a good thing.

Regarding price, the 700c version seems to go for ~$55 - $60 online from
discounters.  Normal retailers are in the $70 range.  Longleaf sells the
non-polished 650B A23 for $80 and Boulder sells the polished ones for $99.
 If Velocity did in fact make it a standard offering, then hopefully the
volumes would get it down approaching the price of the 700c ones, or at
least we'd be able to buy a non-polished one for around $75-$80 per rim.