On Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:47:18 AM UTC-5, Ron Mc wrote:

> I like the bar and stem shifter combination on his prewar Evans
>
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uyGpYXb0Jro/TTtxtIAWUtI/AAAAAAAAAMs/QYm6dCLwbtU/s1600/IMG_7300.jpg

It's also sporting a Riv bottle.

> I don't know if you've ever visited the CABE - none of those guys actually
> ride bikes - they just memorialize them

Well, another blog post of
his<http://v-ccnewengland.blogspot.com/2012/05/rays-waterworks-ride.html>tries
to rebuke this, while keeping an air of entitlement:

*The longest and best yet rendition of a New England Rough-stuff Section
classic: miles off-road, beginning with two-plus on railroad ballast
guarded by poison ivy and an army of ticks - our kind of road. *

*One rides these ways aware that mainstream cycling advocates are lobbying
to clear and pave them over, so that the unadventurous may ride them as
easily as driving down the Mass Pike. Enjoy them while they remain
unspoilt.*

Technically, they were "spoilt" once the rails were dismantled and trains
stopped traveling them, since that's what they were built for. Whoever
dreamed when they were built that railroad ballasts would be ridden 100
years later by guys born 50 years later, on bikes made 40 years later?

I would love to read BikeSnobNYC's take on of all this.

Anton