Yes ...... I take all "sizing guides" as jokes ... lol.  Since I live in a
place with few retail shops, let alone what I'd call "good ones" ... I rely
on mail ordering .  When I am interested in something, I call the
manufacturer and ask for "garment measurements "  .  These are the actual
physical measurements .

That said .... I do know Patagonia well also.  And yes .... the great fit
and sizing of the 70's, 80's and early 90's is out the window.  I don't
know who is running the company today ... but it is nowhere near the same.
They used to make the coolest cotton shirts and sweatshirts . I even found
one brand new I had stored away recently, from 1989 !  I still have many of
the printed catalogs from that time, my sister worked for a Patagonai
outlet store and she'd send us stuff .  One shirt that has not changed is
the cotton Polo. I found a NOS one of those too(from 1989), in a wonderful
Raspberry color even !  When I bought some recently I was overjoyed that
they were exactly the same cut !  So they've not completely lost their way
... lol.    The Snap-T's ... yeah ...... a blanket with arms .... lol.
Thankfully though, other brands have caught up with them in the quality of
the fleece, so I choose other brands. Their lifetime warranty though, is by
far the best of anyone in existence and the model of which all are measured
against.

As far as bike fit , retail is always changing ... but in the custom steel
world time can stand still if you wish !