Enjoyed the OP and the other replies so far.

Works for me:

1.) Largest frame you can comfortably ride.
2.) Wool.  Wear it in summer, just like sheep do.
3.) 650B  helps with 1.), above as well as fitting fatter tires, which
leads to 4.)
4.) Fatter tires. Good light road/tour tires are now for sale in 32mm and
up. Comfort and handling are improved.
5.) Handlebars at or above saddle. I like a slight forward lean. On the
right bike set up, I can also get down flat in the drops of a Nitto bar for
a speedy descent.
6.) Pedaling un clipped. No fall overs, knee or ankle pain, fewer calf
cramps.
7.) comfortable shoes/sandals made possible by 6.)  I ride in Keen sandals
a lot with thicker or thinner wool socks based on season. And for you
weight weenies, MKS Sylvans and Sandals weigh less than a set of click in
pedals with shoe cleats. Not to mention ease of walking around off the
bike. Which leads to 8.)
8.) Bike clothes with pockets and fit that you can wear off the bike. MUSA
pants are great in cool weather.
9.) Leather saddles. which enable no diaper needed riding.
10,) Brass bells. One of the best dog deterrents going. Also brings smiles
from small children.

Don't like:
1.) Heavy tires like the Schwalbes
2.) Baskets, large front bags.
3.) zip ties and foam in a saddle
4.) Twining EVERYTHING.  Bar tape ends are a nice touch. Leave it at that.