Leather tape all the way...
Don't hang me on this one - I don't have a place for big tires.  If I lived
some place with good single track riding, I would be completely different
about it.  But off-road here is blocky limestone and caliche clay that you
don't even want on your bike (we pick up enough of it on the pavement).
 Tried Jack Browns on my daughter's load-hauler, and went back to 28mm
Paselas, which have notably lower rolling resistance.  I pretty much ride
28mm on all my bikes, give or take a mm.