On Jan 31, 2014, at 6:54 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> Here is an initial review of the Steger Arctic Mukluks for winter running.
> (Or hiking, biking, snowshoeing). I did bike in them and they are great for
> that, and I presume they are great for snowshoeing, but I will test that out
> later. Bottom line, I can't believe how minimal, warm, dry, and comfortable
> these are, and they work great running steep mountain trails in winter's deep
> and biking. The soles are soft and grippy, and easily grip my peg-free
> barefoot friendly pedals despite the snow. I wish I'd found these years ago!

My wife and I have had Stegers for years, very handy living here in Minnesota.
I've never biked in them (if it's that cold, I am staying the heck home) but
they are great for snowshoeing with traditional snowshoes.  I've never tried
modern snowshoes.

Another Ely-based company with god cold-weather gear was Wintergreen, but they
have closed up shop and the brand is for sale.  They had great designs for
winter wear.