I would see what the biggest 650b tire is you can fit in the Riv. Most
likely a 38mm Lierre or a 42mm Hetre. You will not be able to fit the
smallest knobbie 650b, nor will you really need that kind of tire for now.
For the terrain and load you are describing, the Lierre or Hetre will be
great, just remember to run either size around 40psi for better traction
and comfort. Remove the fenders. If you can fit the bigger tires just
convert the Riv from city/rando to "rough stuff".

As for bars, go back to the midge bars. You know they work for you, and if
you can get them high enough they should work well off pavement by allowing
you to easily access the flared hooks for leverage when climbing or riding
over rough terrain.

This should be able to give you a pretty adequate "rough stuff" bike. If
you find yourself wanting something to handle the rough terrain differently
or at a greater scale, then look for an old mtn bike or something along the
lines of the Bomba or Hunq.

Gabe