IIRC, Bike Quarterly suggested that there is a sweet spot for wheel
diameter/circumference. Basically 622X28mm (686 diameter), 584X42mm (676
diameter), 559X55mm (677 diameter) all were pretty close to it. So the
fatter the tire, the smaller the wheel.

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal