ted's advise is sound and it helped formed the basis of my choice on my
new-to-me 50cm "Mini-beam".  I rode my 650b Sam in the 46/18 combination
without shifting on my regular route and settled around 66" as a good all
around gearing.  I ultimately chose a 46t Sugino RD crank with an 18t White
freewheel on one side, with a 19t fixed gear on the other.  Not having much
experience with a fixed gear, an easier 62" gearing is what I felt
comfortable with at this time.